Friday, February 27, 2015

DIY Torana


My first attempt at a Torana. This also happens to be the first diy in this new home. 

Traditionally Toran - a sting of leaves tied at the top of the main entrance door to home, (most likely leaves from mango or neem trees) were meant to block insects and other germs because of their medicinal properties. But is this practice relevant anymore? But this tradition like so many others gives me a chance to make my home colorful and vibrant. So my twist on Torana will not repel insects but it sure does bring me joy, adding color and a tad bling to the entryway.



Very simple project. Here is what I used:
- Card stock various colors
- paint chips - various colors
- rhine stones - variety of them
- glue and scissors


Above is the template of each leaf in the torana. This is roughly measured and cut by hand.



Then I marked out the leaves on card stock and cut them up.


Then once I had all the card stock leaves cut out - I scored the top edge leaving about half an inch. This is to help fold them over the string easily.


Then I randomly picked colored paint chips and cut up rectangles and pasted them on top of the leaves.


Then just decorate with rhine stones.



There he is little Mr. D at my work station.




He are all the leaves stung together.


I love the colors.


Tied to the door :)



What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment